Coats Gotex StremX is a new generation of high performance Gotex fibre that can be used as a strength element in fibre optic cables.
Coats is launching Gotex StremX, the first new product of its kind for the telecom cable industry in 20 years. For use as a strength member in fibre optic cables, it is the critical component that preserves the integrity and flexibility of cables in order to protect the wires and fibres they are carrying.
To date telecom cables have traditionally been produced using glass or para-aramid fibres as the central strength members but the Innovation team at Coats has adapted a specific composition of a material substrate used predominantly in the aerospace and wind energy markets. The new product is a premium quality yarn with a unique coating that enhances both the static and dynamic properties of the strength member. It provides a cost effective alternative to aramid strength members and exceptional mechanical properties with excellent temperature, UV and corrosion resistance.
Ronan Cox, President, Performance Materials, Coats, said: ‘Our unique combination of innovation and deep market insights has enabled us to develop a new high performance strength member. Gotex StremX also provides a cost effective solution for our customers. It is an industry disrupter and the evolution of a yarn that can be adapted for the cable market.’
Gotex StremX has a very specific composition made up of materials which currently are predominantly used in the Aerospace, Wind and Composite markets. Through an innovative approach to product design Coats have created a disruptive solution which is the evolution of a yarn that can now be adapted to the cable market.
Coats has developed two variations of Gotex StremX to meet specific needs in telecommunication cable designs. Both are available in a wide range of sizes and also optional water blocking coatings. Gotex StremX HM is a super-strong, heat resistant yarn that improves cable tensile modulus by around 15% and tensile strength by 30% when compared to traditional fibre glass strength members. Gotex StremX UHM is a premium product that can achieve even higher tensile strength and modulus of up to 35% in comparison to standard fibre glass strength members. These features make Gotex StremX one of the most disruptive products of its kind on the market today.
Features and Benefits
- The strand tensile modulus of Gotex StremX HM is up to 15% higher in comparison with Gotex standard fibre glass yarn obtaining similar values as high modulus aramid yarn. The strand tensile strength of Gotex StremX HM is up to 30% higher than Gotex standard fibre glass yarn.
- The strand tensile modulus of Gotex StremX UHM is up to 30% higher in comparison with Gotex standard fibre glass yarn obtaining the same values as high modulus aramid yarn. The strand tensile strength of Gotex StremX UHM is up to 35% higher than Gotex standard fibre glass yarn.
- Outstanding flexible properties; it has excellent high temperature resistance, UV resistance and corrosion resistance, providing excellent adaptability in a variety of harsh environments.
- The impact resistance and fatigue resistance of Gotex StremX has been greatly improved in comparison with Gotex standard fibre glass yarn, providing increased reliability, longer service life and lower maintenance costs.
- Fire and rodent proof, all dielectric and offers great flexibility with perfect adaptation of the cable shape.
For more information, talk to your Coats representative today
or visit www.coats.com/gotex-stremx
Coats is the world’s leading industrial thread manufacturer. Headquartered in the UK they employ 17,000 employees in over 50 countries across six continents around the world.