At Milliken, we’ve always proudly cared for the environment. Our first recycling policy was implemented in 1900—long before many were making efforts toward sustainability. Today, however, we are all driven by a singular sustainability focus: making the world a healthier place, both now and for generations to come. That focus shaped our work to lay the foundation for our journey to 2025.
Sustainability is part of what we do every day throughout all levels of our business and across the globe. At Milliken, we’re making a positive impact on the world around us—and we’re doing that work alongside our customers, associates, partners, and communities.
That said if I could sum up 2019 in one word, it would be “Together.” From finding efficiencies in our supply chain to investing in our communities through volunteer work, we are tackling our sustainability goals as a united team. Year one for us concentrated on laying the groundwork, solidifying our efforts, and setting the stage for the next five years of our journey, together.
In 2019, we:
- Formalized our purpose, values, and vision, our north star for our business strategy and sustainability objectives
- Established goals and identified the teams, governance structure, and strategies needed to meet them
- Acquired two companies, Andover Healthcare and Polartec, that share our values and embody our environmental and human impact
- Developed a content platform with National Geographic to spotlight our commitment and convene thought-leaders in a broader dialogue for sustainability solutions
- Joined the United Nations Global Compact, reaffirming our public commitment to work with global leaders to positively impact the world
- Signed the CEO Diversity and Inclusion pledge, reinforcing my personal commitment to check my biases and lead with inclusivity
We’ve set our goals. We’ve created a plan. The right team is in place. While our 2025 sustainability journey is only just beginning, we’re already making progress. I, for one, can’t wait to see where the road will take us as we forge a healthier future together.
— Milliken & Company (@MillikenandCo) July 22, 2020